What are You Going to do When Your Battery Won’t Charge Anymore?
So, the grid goes down, but fortunately you are prepared and have adequate solar power or a generator. You have prepared for a power outage the best you can and stored backup fuel for your generator.
But what if the battery in your BaoFeng burns up or won’t charge anymore? That battery is a proprietary model and you can’t just go down to the store and pick up a new one.
What are you going to do? Thankfully, there are a couple of ways to power your BaoFeng Two Way Radio when your battery goes kaput. Backup communication is a must in an SHTF situation and powering these devices is paramount to our survival.
2 Ways to Charge Your BaoFeng Radio in a Grid Down Situation if the Batteries are Good
- Generator – If you have a generator, you can connect directly to the 110 receptacles and use the standard charger that comes with the BaoFeng kit. Just like you would in your home, this is a great option if you have it.
- Large Solar Power System – If you have solar power such as a solar array and a battery bank you can do the same thing mentioned above regarding the generator. Moreover, a big congratulation goes with this investment, a solar array and battery bank is a big step that many preppers would love to have!
A lot of preppers have access to a generator and a few have a large solar source of backup power.
But, what if you live in an apartment or somewhere where a generator would give you away? What if you are in an area where there is just no room for a solar array?
Moreover, what if the situation is worse, you are caught away from home or had to bug out at the last minute? You are going to need a way to charge your essential small electronics and that method has to be efficient and easily carried with your other gear.
Here are a couple of options for that very situation. The options below focus around the BaoFeng Two Way Radio but it can apply to other electronics as well.
- If Your Battery is Still Good – Carry a backpacking solar charger and the BaoFeng USB Power Cable. This is a great combination and can be used for other electronics as well.
- Only get the cable, you already have the base of the unit for charging when you purchased the BaoFeng kit.
- This option is a bit pricier than the second choice below but has more options for charging other electronics.
- If Your Battery is Bad – Carry an extra battery pack that uses AA batteries such as the BaoFeng BL-5 AA Battery Pack for the BF-F8HP, UV-5X3, and UV-5R Radios. The difference between this option is that is can only be used with the BaoFeng radios. It doesn’t have any dual uses as the solar charger method does.
- It takes typical AA batteries that can be found anywhere.
- AA batteries are common and can be used in other electronics.
- UPDATE: You can use 6 AA NiMh/ NiCd rechargeable cells (1.2V) OR 5 AA Alkaline cells (1.5V) and 1 dummy AA which is included in the battery pack kit.
Powering our vital electronics in a grid down situation is always a concern for a prepper and these few affordable options can make it much easier. The great thing about this option is that it’s easily carried in BOB or GHB.
BaoFeng BF-F8HP 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio – https://amzn.to/2UASP1Q
BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio – https://amzn.to/2WCJTuX
BTECH USB Programming Cable for BaoFeng Radio – https://amzn.to/2Gj6o23
BaoFeng BL-5 AA Battery Pack BF-F8HP, UV-5X3, and UV-5R Radios – https://amzn.to/2t3bBU4
BaoFeng USB Power USB Cable for Charger – https://amzn.to/2t0640e